Among the surprisingly large pool of under-appreciated Scottish architects is Arthur George Sydney Mitchell. His Edinbornian works include Well Court in Dean Village, Ramsay Gardens in the Old Town, and his restoration of the Mercat Cross on the Royal Mile. Sydney Mitchell also did a number of branch commissions for the Commercial Bank of Scotland (which in 1959 merged with the National Bank to form the National Commercial Bank, which in turn merged into the Royal Bank of Scotland in 1979).
This bank branch, in Kyle of Lochalsh in Ross up in the Highlands, was built in 1896 and demonstrates Sydney Mitchell’s adeptness at what could loosely be called the Scottish style in architecture. The level of ornament is fairly small and concentrated on the entrance. This simple style can be found not only in the Highlands, but also, in a slightly different variation, in the East Neuk of Fife, and elsewhere, but more often in places closer to the sea.
The stone though light in colour still provides a handsome contrast to the whitewash of the walls. The mis-match in the steps of the gable ends (see below) is an interesting touch.
Simple but handsome buildings like this are easily achievable today.